Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Inglourious Basterds


This picture is huge. Anyways my apolgies for not putting up any reviews up in the last few weeks. It's been a busy stretch. Also, I'm going to start making these shorter as well so I can get more out frequently. So let's begin.
Inglourious Basterds is the next film in a long line of impressive flicks by director Quentin Tarantino. From seeing the trailer I was all like, "dang this going to be as graphic as Kill Bill but as witty and funny as Pulp Fiction." I happened to be pretty close to my guess, but there was something about this movie that made it fall short of expectations.
A real quick summary of the film before my opinion of it. In nazi-occupied France, there are two things happening. The first is there is a lieutenant played by Cristoph Waltz going around and killing what remaining Jewish people there are left. We meet him at a house suspected of hiding Jewish people. They shoot up the house and only one girl manages to escape. Also, there is a group of men called "The Basterds" lead by Aldo Raine (Brad Pitt). There sole purpose in France is to kill Nazis. Can't really go to much more into depth on that topic, because that's all they do. The movie then follows these two stories through scenes that to some could be hilarious, to some could be boring, and to some be absolutely gross and made you want to turn away. That's what Tarantino brings us in all of his films, and this one isn't different.
Unfortunately, something about this movie rubbed me the wrong way right from the start. I knew that Tarantino likes to prolong his violent sequences with a little prolonged humorous dialogue, but this one seemed to just drag it out. I also thought some of the stuff was unecessary. Don't get me wrong, I love Tarantino's films, especially Pulp Fiction, and there are some things that I felt were over the top, yet I still enjoyed it. For this film, I felt that the over the top stuff was just not needed because it was used incorrectly. I can't say what they were because I don't want to give anything away. This review is running long so my overall impression was disappointed. Not the worst thing your going to see this summer, but not worth seeing. Brad Pitt is very funny as the lead, but just about everything else besides that falls short.
Rating: 2 out of 4 stars Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQhTVz5IjQ

No comments:

Post a Comment