Friday, October 2, 2009

Zombieland


I don't really venture into this genre too often. I think the only zombie movie I've seen is Shaun of the Dead. It's not my cup of tea. When I heard about this new knock on a zombie flick, I was understandably hesitant. I did some looking into it and when I saw that it had the likes of Woody Harrelson (Kingpin, No Country for Old Men), Jesse Eisenberg (Adventureland, The Squid and the Whale), Emma Stone (Superbad), and Abigiail Breslin (Little Miss Sunshine, Definitely Maybe, My Sister's Keeper), I became a little more optimistic about seeing this. Once the trailers and TV spots started making it's way to computers and televisions everywhere, I became ridiculously interested in seeing it. Needless to say I was pretty giddy when I was waiting through the ads and previews, and I was not disappointed once it was showtime.
Zombieland is about the struggle of the remaining humans on earth to fight off the attacking zombies and stay alive. The story is narrarated by one of those lucky guys named Colombus, played by Eisenberg. He is the typical awkward hero we've come to recognize in most movies these days. He is the next Michael Cera for comparison's sake, but he is actually way better and has a much brighter future ahead of him. Nonetheless, he is on a trip back to his hometown when he meets Talahassee, who is also on a journey of his own. His mission in life is to find the last remaining Twinkie on earth. They end up joining forces because there is nobody else around, and they might as well hang out while time permits. While they are on a search for the last remaining Twinkie, they encounter two girls named Wichita and Little Rock, who end up tricking the guys into thinking one of them was bitten by a zombie, giving them the opportunity to steal the guys' truck. They end up crossing paths later on and when they realize that they will get nowhere on their own, they team up in the fight against the zombies. They then head cross-country, killing zombies that come across their path, all while trying to keep each other as safe as they can be, hoping that they will survive this.
This movie was solid. Like I said before, this genre isn't geared towards my liking, but I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. The first few minutes were actually a little bit scary, but when it's mixed with the impressive timing of Jesse Eisenberg, it actually is enjoyable. The movie never loses steam because of the chemistry of Eisenberg and Harrelson. It was one of the first things that I noticed watching this. They were the perfect fit for these roles. For a zombie movie, this was phenominal. You will get all the entertainment you need, and you will get way more laughs then you could have imagined. A must see.
Rating: 3 out of 4 stars Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-cIjPOJdFM

No comments:

Post a Comment